View from the Pew

I’ve always wondered what you’re doing while I’m preaching.  Now, I know.  And, wish I didn’t.

’Tis a rare day that I am not on the podium as a speaker.  Teaching in Thailand, I was free on Sunday, thus joined a couple of my students at their church.  Amidst the diverse assembly beside me sat a young local gal.  We nodded politely as she sat in the empty seat.  Worship commenced.  

Praise resounded replete with skilled band, lights and video.  Sound system amped to the max; we went for it!  Seated (and exhausted, we seniors in the crowd) time to partake the Lord’s Supper.  The side of my eye was distracted by my neighbor —being distracted. 

A contemporary guy, I utilize my iPhone Bible app.  (Putting legalists into a tizzy, as they can no longer judge outward spirituality by noticing who carries their Bible.)  Hence, when during the sermon, my neighbor regularly referenced her device, as did I; little reason for concern.  

However, she was engaged more than normal on her phone.  Unable to resist, I glanced at her screen, and discovered she was scrolling and trolling …Facebook!    She was into it; for the entire service.  I know, because I peeked ... often!  Able to multi-task, she would periodically put her phone down, jot a cryptic note in her booklet (one presumes a spiritual nugget from the sermon), then compulsively resume her Social Media surf session.  Hey, who needs the Word of God when you have the wonderful world of Facebook friends! 

The Bible says in Ecclesiastes “There is a time for everything under the sun”.  This wasn’t it.

Of course, a pertinent question you are asking right now, “What was I doing looking sideways during the sermon?”  It’s hard to pay attention.  Now I know.