Old Age; Soft Heart

Pastor Feliciano is second of three generations serving a sizable indigenous church in the remote mountain village of PachalĂ­, Guatemala.  Son Jorge handles most duties, but at about 80 years of age, the elder still has his weathered hand on the wheel here and there.  For sure, he sets the spiritual tone.

In a midweek preaching meeting, nearly everyone in attendance came to the front as an act of commitment to Christ at the close of the sermon.  Time passed.  The Spirit moved.  Hearts melted.  I noticed Pastor Feliciano repeatedly wiping tears from his eyes.

Grasp the significance.  At his stage in life and ministry, he’s seen and done it all.  He could certainly offer sage counsel and practical pointers to pastors (and international evangelists).  Yet distinctly, his heart is still supple in the hands of the Master.  

I hope as you are reading this right now, that you are a Christian Leader.  We all need a reminder that having a soft heart for the things of God is the pre-eminent personal trait, professional qualification, and ministry strategy.  I’m not sure that is something readily taught in Seminary classrooms or mentioned in Church Board meetings.  I know it is rarely a topic of discussion when clergy gather over lunch.

I leave you with the third stanza of the classic hymn, I Love to Tell the Story.  
I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting, 
to hear it like the rest.
And when in scenes of glory, 
we sing a new, new song.
’Twill be the old, old story,
that I have loved so long.

You know any seasoned saints like that?  I’m glad to say, I do.