Emergency Theology

Sometimes we have to bend the rules and flex our categories.

Stay with me.  In historic Kawaiaha’o Church in downtown Honolulu, Brendalyn P. and I attend funeral services for a respected Kupuna (elder).  The service runs long.  A bit warm in the tropics, I’m parched.  I experience an unexpected dizzy spell.  It passes but concern lingers.  Discretely, I inquire as to the nearest water source.  Brenda has no clue.

Short time later, we partake of Holy Communion, bringing the elements of bread and juice, dedicated to the Lord, back to our seats.  I prayerfully partake.  Brenda waits, and asks if we are supposed to consume together as a congregation.  I reply that I don’t know, but since I’m ordained, I get a pass.  My beloved rolls her eyes.

As we wait quietly, she inquires further about my hydration needs then kindly offers her small communion cup, “Would this help?”  At that point, I’m perplexed.  My medical needs collide with my biblical understanding.
I appreciate her offer, but figure 0.3 ounces will offer little relief.  Besides, is it kosher to offer someone else your communion juice?  I’ve got a bevy of theological questions on that one.  Then again, I suppose that is the  essence of redemption; sharing life in Christ Jesus.  

The Book of James says, “Pure and undefiled religion is this; to visit the orphans and widows in their distress…”.  James insists that the Gospel must be put into practice and applied to real life.

When Theology meets emergency.  Don’t fret; just go for it!