Value Beyond Vague

“Just what do you mean by that?”  Loaded question.

A recent study by Pew Research Center found that just over a quarter, 27%, of American adults are now “spiritual but not religious”, a number that has grown by 8 percentage points in five years.

Hmmm.  “Spiritual, but not religious”.  What exactly, does that mean?  …Still waiting….    I propose that we politely engage contemporary spiritualists; gently ask and patiently await a response.  That said, let me offer some possible suggestions as to the mindset behind “Spiritual, but not religious”.  See if any resonate. 
  • Whatever I wish it to mean.
  • I believe; I just don’t know what.
  • God; on my terms.
  • Salvation light.  All the benefits; none of the cost.
  • Conscience pacifier.
  • Covering my bases.
  • Ace in the hole.
  • God: don’t call me, I’ll call you.
  • I — am god.
  • Syncretism: a little Bible, meditation, far eastern philosophy, and anything else.  Throw it all together, and enjoy.

Whatever it means, it cannot mean “Biblical Christianity”.  Commitment to Jesus Christ is far from vague “spirituality”.  It contains precision.  Listen to Jesus, and Scripture.
  • “I am the Way, the Truth, the Life.  No one comes to the Father but by me.” 
  • “No other name by which men may be saved”
  • “If you have seen me, you have seen the Father.”
  • “The Word became flesh”
  • “In Him, the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form.”
  • “What we have heard with our ears, seen with our eyes, held with our hands; we declare unto you.”
  • “We did not follow cleverly devised tales, we are eyewitnesses of His glory.”
  • “If you love me, you will obey my commandments.”
  • “If anyone would follow me, let him deny himself and take up his cross”
  • “He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son does not have life.”

The contrast is crystal clear.  And so, might I add, is the choice.

One final qualifier is in order.  Perhaps the modern mantra, “Spiritual, but not Religious” is a reaction against dead formal religion.  If so, I concur!  A transforming experience with Jesus Christ is not mere or more “Religion”, but a “Relationship”.  You do not perform your way into a dynamic reality with Christ.  You experience by faith.  Yet, in candor; once you meet Him as Savior and Lord by grace, you then walk in good works, obedience, and observance (Eph 2:8-10).  You intentionally seek fellowship with other like-minded and hearted-connected believers.  The Bible calls that “Church”.

If surveyors ask me, I will answer, “I am a follower of Jesus Christ.”  You can determine if that makes me “Spiritual”, “Religious”, or a kook.  I testify it makes me a “child of God”.